Posted on: 7 June 2016
Pets can be detrimental to your carpeting with things like urine, vomit and other accident stains. Some stains can be easily removed, but accidents that happen when you aren't home, are set in and dry can be a little more difficult to remove. The odors left behind can also be difficult to remove, not to mention they can be embarrassing when you have visitors. See below for tips on how to remove pet stains and odors from your carpeting.
To Remove Stains
Here's What You'll Need:
- 1/4 cup baking soda (more or less depending on the stain size)
- White vinegar
- Bowl (big enough to cover the area)
- Clean rag
- If the area is still wet (not yet set in), use a clean rag to blot as much of the wetness as possible. Fold over the rag and press firmly on the spot again and again until the spot is nearly dry.
- Next, soak the area with the white vinegar and sprinkle enough baking soda to cover the urine spot.
- To protect the area and to keep the baking soda in place, use a bowl to cover the spot. Leave the spot to dry for at least a day or two.
- You'll notice the baking soda turn yellow, which means it is pulling the urine out of the carpeting.
- Use your vacuum to clean up the baking soda. The stain below should be completely gone, and there should not be any odors either.
When using this method, be sure to soak the area first with the vinegar and then add the baking soda second. Switching these ingredients around can lead to a big mess, as it can cause a popping and crackling reaction.
To Remove Pet Odors
Odors in your carpeting can be there even if your pet didn't have any accidents at all. Odors can be caused from pet dander, sweat and hair as well.
Here's What You'll Need:
- 1 cup baking soda
- 15 drops essential oil (your favorite scent)
- In a jar, combine the baking soda and 15 drops of your favorite essential oil scent. Lemon, citrus or lavender are all great choices to give your home a fresh scent.
- Place a lid on the jar and shake well to mix in the essential oils.
- Poke holes in the lid so you can easily shake the mixture onto your carpeting (or you can use a shaker jar if you have one). Sprinkle your entire carpet evenly and allow it to sit for about 20 minutes.
- Vacuum up the mixture from your carpeting and enjoy the new fresh scent of your carpeting.
Pets such as dogs and cats are wonderful to have, but they can have accidents. Clean them up properly and get rid of odors left behind using the cleaning methods above.Share